Why You Should Be on the Lookout for Mildew and Mold

Black mold in the corner of room wall. Preparation for mold removal.

You may be a careful housekeeper, but that does not mean you are immune from mould and mildew occurrences. Damp areas in your home like bathrooms and basements are all great breeding grounds for these nuisances. Some might say they are not much of a big deal in well-maintained homes. But if you allow these fungi to grow unchecked or if you neglect your home that you do not know there is an actual growth somewhere hidden, that could definitely be a major issue that you need to address.

 

How are They Different?

Because you want to be on the lookout for both mildew and mould, you should know the difference between the two. Well, the mildew can be seen as a tiny fungus growing along surfaces like a white or grayish powdery film. Mould comes in green, brown, or black, and it can accumulate substantially compared to mildew. Mould also creates a fuzzy appearance.

 

Both of them have a musty odour and should definitely be removed if you want to have a really clean home.

 

They are a Health Hazard!

Not only are mould and mildew sore to the eyes and foul-smelling. They can also be a serious health hazard. Being exposed to these fungi can cause respiratory problems even among healthy family members. You can imagine what greater risk they are to people who are already suffering from respiratory conditions, including asthma. Others may experience a kind of sensitive not unlike some seasonal allergies. This can cause headaches, coughing, congestion, eye irritation, and more.

 

Say Goodbye to Fungi

Fortunately for you, mould and mildew are actually not that difficult to eliminate. Most of the time, all you need to do is to scrub with a soft-bristled brush and soapy water to remove these fungi. Of course, you would want to kill the fungi efficiently. You can achieve by spraying the affected areas with diluted bleach solution. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, scrub it and rinse.

 

Look for the Source

If you are often cleaning mould and mildew in your shower which has poor ventilation, you should probably not be that concerned about it. As mentioned above, mildew and mould thrive in very damp areas and for that the best course of action is to clean the area diligently. However, if you find these fungi in areas that are not supposed to be damp, which could mean trouble. It is possible there is a leak somewhere that lets rainwater seep into your house. There could also be a leaky pipe. If you suspect any of these is happening, it would be best for you to call for a professional help!

Leave a Reply